Stay informed about the latest identity theft news and stories and learn what law enforcement and elected officials are doing to protect consumers from becoming victims.
Learn about these topics :
Get the latest news and information about identity theft and fraud alerts.
- Software Security: One Threat Solved as Another Looms
- 2 Million Stolen Passwords: What Can You Do?
- How Companies Protect Your Data
Identity theft is a crime that can be perpetrated using low-tech methods such as dumpster diving or much more tech-savvy means including phishing e-mails, skimming devices and malicious software known as malware. There were 12.6 million victims of identity fraud in the U.S. in 2012. Identity theft tops the list of consumer complaints that are reported to the Federal Trade Commission every year.
- Veteran Sentenced for Using Stolen Identities to Gain Benefits
- U.K. Man Indicted for Hacking into Federal Reserve Computers
- Traffic Stops Yield Identity Theft Suspects
- Thousands Victimized by Identity Theft Scams
- New Jersey ID Theft Ringleader Gets 12-year Sentence
- ID Theft Victim Serves Time for Someone Else’s Crime
A data breach occurs when confidential information, like your Social Security number, credit card number or health information, is exposed or accessed by an unauthorized person. Studies show that individuals who receive a data breach notification letter are more than four times as likely to become victims of identity theft.
- Johns Hopkins University Latest Breach Victim
- Sally Beauty Supply Investigates Possible Breach
- Indiana University: Data on 146,000 Students Exposed
- 300,000 People’s Data Stolen in University of Maryland Breach
- Hotels Warn of Credit Card Breach
- Retailers Offer Free Credit Monitoring, ID Theft Protection