Stay informed about the latest identity theft news and stories and learn what law enforcement and elected officials are doing to protect consumers from becoming victims.
Learn about these topics :
Get the latest news and information about identity theft and fraud alerts.
- Check a Hotel’s PCI Before Checking In
- Protect Your Identity While You Travel
- Spotify Hacked: Company Urges Action
- USPS Warns of Malware in Phony Email
- Breach at eBay Prompts Password Warning
- 5 Tips to Safeguard Your Identity as You Job Search
Identity theft is a crime that can be perpetrated using low-tech methods such as dumpster diving or much more tech-savvy means including phishing e-mails, skimming devices and malicious software known as malware. There were 12.6 million victims of identity fraud in the U.S. in 2012. Identity theft tops the list of consumer complaints that are reported to the Federal Trade Commission every year.
- Mickey Mouse Himself Is A Victim Of Identity Theft
- Those in Positions of Trust Face Identity Theft Charges
- What’s the Difference Between Identity Theft Insurance and Credit Card Monitoring?
- Police: Accused Identity Thieves Acted Alone
- Accountant Convicted of Claiming $8M in Fake Tax Returns
- Card Skimming Scams on the Rise
A data breach occurs when confidential information, like your Social Security number, credit card number or health information, is exposed or accessed by an unauthorized person. Studies show that individuals who receive a data breach notification letter are more than four times as likely to become victims of identity theft.
- P.F. Chang’s Continues to Grapple with Breach
- P.F. Chang’s Using Credit Card Imprints in Wake of Breach
- The Dangers of Medical Identity Theft
- 5 Steps to Protect Your Identity on Facebook
- Identity Thieves Target Medical Records
- Social Media Behavior Leads to Identity Theft