Stay informed about the latest identity theft news and stories and learn what law enforcement and elected officials are doing to protect consumers from becoming victims.
Learn about these topics :
Get the latest news and information about identity theft and fraud alerts.
- Tips to Avoid Holiday Identity Theft
- Fake IDs Leading to Identity Theft
- Identity Theft Trap Targets Spelling Errors
- Ways to Prevent Student ID Theft
- New Type of Malware Allows Hackers to Breach 225,000 iPhones
- Cars Could Be Next Targets for ID Theft
Identity theft is a crime that can be perpetrated using low-tech methods such as dumpster diving or much more tech-savvy means including phishing e-mails, skimming devices and malicious software known as malware. There were 12.6 million victims of identity fraud in the U.S. in 2012. Identity theft tops the list of consumer complaints that are reported to the Federal Trade Commission every year.
- Ways to Protect Your Identity this Black Friday
- Alleged ID Thieves Target Family Members
- Malware and Hacking Forum Darkode Dismantled, Dozens Arrested
- ID Theft Infiltrates Police and Military
- Authorities Crack Down on Card Skimming
- Medical Centers a Hotspot for Identity Theft
A data breach occurs when confidential information, like your Social Security number, credit card number or health information, is exposed or accessed by an unauthorized person. Studies show that individuals who receive a data breach notification letter are more than four times as likely to become victims of identity theft.
- Report: Email Accounts Hacked Using ‘Social Engineering’ Tactics
- 15 Million People Stung by T-Mobile Data Breach
- Dumb Mistakes Led to the Ashley Madison Hack
- White House Awards Contract for Identity Theft Protection for Millions of Victims of OPM Data Breach
- Taxpayers Sue IRS Over Data Breach
- Rising College Tuition: Add Cyber Security Costs